We all have our favorite sweet treats during the Holidays. Whether it be, a certain type of pie, or a family cookie recipe that has been handed down generation after generation; we all have something special and sweet. With cookies and pies, typically being the “go-to” for Holiday desserts, I thought it would be fun to do a little research and find a different type of dessert to create a change of pace for our next Holiday get together. Thanks to The Food Charlatan, I was able to find this scrumptious recipe that I am excited to share with all of you. Bring an elevated touch to your dessert platters with the Candy Cane Brownie Trifle. This delectable treat is certain to win favor for future Holidays as well as bring a whole new level to your dessert game. Now, pull out your Holiday apron, wash your hands and get ready to create the most mouth watering dessert this season!
- 1 9×13 inch pan of baked brownies (This recipe is my favorite)
- 6 ounces (1 cup) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 and 1/4 cup half and half or cream
- 3/4 sugar
- 3 tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup crushed candy canes (about 12 candy canes)
- Start by making the brownies. A box mix is fine. Make sure not to over bake them. Remove brownies from the oven and cool completely (if you are in a hurry stick them in the freezer). Cut brownies into bite-size chunks and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan combine chocolate chips and 3 tablespoons of butter. Cook and stir over low heat until melted.
- Stir in 1 and 1/4 cups half and half or cream, 3/4 cup sugar, and corn syrup. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Boil over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes (set a timer!) or until sauce is reduced to about 2 1/3 cups. Remove from heat. Let cool for a minute or two, until it stops bubbling.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. Cool to room temperature; mixture thickens as it cools. (Freezer or fridge also helps here).
- For the whipped cream, in a chilled mixing bowl combine 2 cups cream, powdered sugar, and 1/4 or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract. Beat with the chilled beaters of an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- In 16 small dessert cups, alternately layer brownie chunks, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and crushed candy canes, ending with whipped cream and candy canes. Serve immediately.
- If you want to do this all in one trifle bowl, place 1/3 of the brownie chunks in a 3-quart bowl or trifle dish. Drizzle with 1/4 of the chocolate sauce. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the candy canes. Top with 1/3 of the whipped cream. Repeat layers twice more. Drizzle with remaining chocolate sauce; sprinkle with remaining candy canes. Serve immediately.